Thursday, February 12, 2009

before



A million years and a few months ago, before Anna was born, amazing photographer friend Karen Cipolla invited us up to her studio. I remember the four flights of stairs seemed very long. She dressed us up and we stood in the light, slightly self-conscious but even more struck through with delighted anticipation. There will be nothing ever again like those last days of waiting for our first baby to come. I remember her elbows and knees and heels pressing out, reverse dents in the belly as we stood there. I remember imagining the little girl we'd show these pictures to, pointing to the belly and saying, "that was you in there!" Her imagined face then, a blurry smudge in my mind. And now there she sleeps, sucking madly on her thumb with her fingers splayed out over her very specific face. And now I can't imagine not knowing every inch of her by heart.

5 comments:

  1. You guys look amazing! Velvet, Boots, Vests, and Beer! You both looks gorgeous and thoroughly entertained.

    Willis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got tears in my eyes on that every inch of her line. Love you all so much, and so glad she came! Can you imagine if we were STILL pregnant?

    ReplyDelete
  3. please send yor dad a copy or a way in which i can make a copy of this absolutely beautiful picture.what a handsome couple. dang you guys are hot. dad and jules

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great pic! It is really funny to see new mommy friends pregnant. Obviously we all were, but since I didn't know you then....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry but that is one smoking-sexy photograph. VERY. oh man it's a good one. SO glad you did that. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete